AI & ML Engineer
- Opportunity to be a part of a global Artificial Intelligence organization in Singapore!
- Based in Singapore, the regional hub for Asia Pacific (AP) and top-ranked biopharmaceutical company on The Straits Times and Statista’s list of Best Employers in Singapore for two consecutive years (2020, 2021).
- Join the premier biopharmaceutical company that has been in Singapore for more than 25 years and in AP for over 60 years.
Our company is an innovative, global healthcare leader committed to improving health and well-being in 140 countries around the world. Our product categories include heart and respiratory health, diabetes, infectious diseases, consumer products and women’s health. We continue to focus our research on conditions that affect millions of people around the world – diseases like Alzheimer’s, Diabetes and Cancer – while further expanding our strengths in areas such as vaccines and biologics. We aspire to be the best healthcare company in the world and to providing innovative solutions for tomorrow.
The AI/ML Engineer leverages a deep understanding of artificial intelligence (AI), software engineering and technical research to develop and mature AI and machine learning capabilities, workflows and use cases.
The role is primarily responsible for technical delivery as a full-fledged team member in delivering on priority projects and developing global AI capabilities that are embedded into scalable products, platforms, and solutions.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Delivery of enterprise AI projects and assets including products, platforms, and solutions, with a view to maximize reuse
- Work on technical pilots and feasibility studies of new opportunities to create value, and transitioning successful pilots to scalable production implementations
- Engage and communicate with stakeholders to understand business problem and project requirements.
- Collaborate with other technical teams (software engineering, cloud operations, robotic process automation) to develop and deliver the projects.
- Participate in internal professional communities of practice and mentor colleagues to raise artificial intelligence and data science maturity within the company.
- Assist in technical training to upskill colleagues to raise the data science competency levels within the company.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Computer Science with specialization in Natural Language Processing or Computer Vision highly preferred.
- We evaluate candidates on a case-by case basis but appreciate qualifications in quantitative, scientific and technology disciplines such as Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, Analytics, Physics, and Bioinformatics.
Required Experience and Skills:
- We seek candidates that combine technical depth with the ability to work collaboratively and create impact
- At least 3+ years of relevant working experience in fields related to artificial intelligence, machine learning, data science, software engineering
- Understanding of artificial intelligence research landscape in Natural Language Processing (NLP) and/or Computer Vision (CV), and ability to review research publications
- Domain knowledge in pharmaceutical business areas such as research, clinical, manufacturing, commercial and corporate functions highly regarded
- Ability to communicate and express technical viewpoints to senior stakeholders with succinctness and clarity
- Hands-on code development experience and familiarity with the Python scientific computing stacks
- Knowledge of NLP and/or CV techniques and models as well as usage of common NLP and/or CV Python libraries (NLTK, Spacy, Keras, etc.). Knowledge of transformer-based models and experience with deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, Pytorch etc would be a plus.
- Proficient in working with both structured and unstructured data with an emphasis on natural language or image.
- Familiarity with developing and deploying within a cloud-based infrastructure and services environment a plus
Full stack web application development and UX experience and understanding non-essential but a plus
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.